Wan Kwai - Flying Tiger Chili Sauce

Marv

Dauerscharfesser
Hallo zusammen,

ich hab die oben genannte Soße probiert und für meinen Blog eine englische Produktbeschreibung verfasst. Ich hoffe es ist OK wenn ich die hier einfach reinkopiere. Hab keine Lust alles nochmal zu übersetzen...

----------

So, again I was walking thru the supermarket looking out for some spicy stuff. And suddenly, in the isle with Asian food, I was immediately drawn to this bottle.

I mean, just look at this beast. It's a tiger! It got wings! It's flying! Isn't this pure awesomeness? Well, I think it is, so I put this bottle into my shopping cart.

The only thing I could complain here is that it is a plastic squeeze bottle, similar to the famous Sriracha sauce. While nice to use, it doesn't look really pretty on the shelf.

But let's go for the hard facts:

Name: Flying Tiger Chili Sauce by Wan Kwai

Origin: Here things are getting a little mysterious. While the design is as Asian as it gets, the bottle says it comes from the city of Neuss in Germany.

According to their website, the company was founded in 1958 as an import company for Asian food, which they still say.

So, is this sauce imported, or produced in Germany and just designed Asian? Who or what is Wan Kwai? Do these Chinese signs on the bottle actually make any sense? And will this stuff give me more wings than Red Bull ever did?
So many questions...

Price: 3,99€ per 435ml bottle

Ingredients:
water, sugar, red chili peppers (25%), garlic, salt, starch, vinegar

25% of peppers doesn't sound too bad. Bad sugar on second place indicates that this will be a sweet sauce, which I actually didn't plan to go for. But here we are...

Since sauce testing on a ham&cheese toast as well as on nachos worked great before, I just decided to go for it again:

Smell: A heavy smell of garlic, followed by a little vinegar-acidity. No spiciness to smell.

Consistency:
Something between a ketchup and a sauce. Pretty liquid, but still sticking to the food. Too thin to make it a nacho dip, so I just poured it over them...
All ingredients are very fine grinded, it is very homogeneous with just very little pieces to see.

Taste: The initial taste is very sweet, like the sweet chili sauce we pretty much all know from Asian restaurants. After a second or two you feel the peppers kicking in, which bring a decent spiciness that tickles and even build up if you eat more. Then again, you get the aftertaste dominated by the garlic.
For the toast, again most of the heat was taken away by the cheese. But it worked surprisingly well as a nacho sauce. I could imagine that this would really shine on grilled chicken, still have to try this out.
Overall, I really like the taste. It is pretty straight forward, but without any of the components being too dominant. Plus, it is nice to have a sweet chili sauce without the chunks and seeds you usually get here.

Spiciness: Since this is a sweet chili sauce, this isn't a throat-burner. But still, it is very notable, and stronger than other sweet chili sauces I have tried so far, or most of the spicy ketchups from the supermarket.
I would say it's about just right here.

Conclusion or “Would I recommend it?” With no doubt I would say: Yes, give it a try if you got the chance. A simple, but well rounded sauce that I could see myself buying more often.

I would rate it a 4 out of 5.

Anhänge

• 2018-04-15 WanKwai FlyingTiger Essen.jpg
    2018-04-15 WanKwai FlyingTiger Essen.jpg
    128,6 KB · Aufrufe: 160
  • 2018-04-15 WanKwai FlyingTiger Flasche.jpg
    2018-04-15 WanKwai FlyingTiger Flasche.jpg
    112,4 KB · Aufrufe: 181
Zurück
Oben Unten